Sunday, January 22, 2012

Great Saltpetre Cave

I had the opportunity to visit the Great Saltpetre Cave Preserve with Rob Coomer and some of the members of Ohio Valley Camera Club on Saturday, 21 January 2012.
The Great Saltpetre Preserve
P.O. Box 1402
Mount Vernon, Kentucky 40456
gsp@caves.org
I had only ever been in some small caves in Red River Gorge and a few winery caves in Europe, so, this was somewhat of a new adventure for me.  I have to say that I was surprised by what I saw.  I expected a cold and damp environment, and while it was not exactly warm inside (approx. 50F and still), it was much more comfortable than the icy cold outside.  It was also quite dry, with the exceptions of a couple of small streams and waterfalls dripping in some remote locations.
The preserve is located near the Renfro Valley/Mount Vernon area of south central Kentucky, which is also the home of some serious Bluegrass festivities as well.  It was about a 2 1/2 hour drive from Cincinnati.
Thanks to Bob Wilcox and Rob Coomer for an interesting day which included a guided tour, free form exploration and photography as well as some light painting.  It was a good day.




Thanks Traci Hacker for modelling and twirling the LED lights.  Great show.

5 comments:

  1. Excellent shots!! What a good time!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great pictures but I especially love the second one! It was a good time, wasn't it? My first time cave shooting too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, it was a good time. A place I would like to go back to sometime. There's much more exploring to do, some shots that didn't get shot, and some that need to be done again. Thanks for the comments, all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good images, Rick. I enjoy the shapes and shadows of the general cave shots, and the creative silhouette of you and your tripod. If and when you return, I'd love to go with you, and for the same reasons.

    ReplyDelete