Thursday, May 1, 2014

Acadia National Park

I'm about a month home from this trip and just getting around to writing about it.  It's amazing how many things get sidelined in the fall, in favor of taking photographs and traveling, but that's the way of it when you want to go adventuring.

I started planning this trip almost a year ago this month.  I had been there once in the early 70's, but just for a day, with no camera and no real time to explore.  I always remembered what a beautiful place the loop road was and wanted to return.  It had passed into the nether regions of my memory until a friend brought it up one day during a phone conversation.  Her family is from Bar Harbor and she gave me many great tips to get me going.

A house was rented for a week and it was a spectacular place located right at the top of Sommes Sound.  Seven other people made up our company, and a grand company it was.  Some of the nicest folk I have met in quite some time, spending a week together with much fellowship and photographic comradery.  Basically, we had a blast.


My twelve day adventure began with a trip to Blackwater Falls State Park where I stayed in the park lodge for one night (great place), followed by a stop at Frank Lloyd Wright's famous Fallingwater, which had been on my bucket list for decades.  My posts on those stops are here and here.

Arriving at the rental, all the folks were out shooting sunset, but, there wasn't any regret at missing anything.  My first few shots in the area consisted of sunset shots from the back deck of our rental.  The rocks in the forground are just a couple feet from the edge of the deck.  Great location.


The next couple of days consisted of our touring the park with the majority of our time being spent on the loop road along the coast.  Good thing too, because they shut the park down two days into our trip.  However, all managed to achieve some memorable photos of the coastline, with Otter Cliffs being a prime subject.


Evenings had us celebrating an outstanding day with the local delicacy.  Nuff Said!
Rich Sears with the evenings repast.  Photo by Constance Sanders


We ate a lot of lobster, and make no mistake, it's easier, more fun, and cheaper to cook 'em yourself.
Lobster, boiled and buttered garlic potatoes, corn on the cob, broccoli and a great tossed salad.  Don't forget the Pinot.


Partying aside, I spent a lot of quality time with some quality individuals.  We had a great group, and even when they closed the park, we all made the best of it.  We visited all the surrounding harbor towns and even took a sunset cruise on the Margaret Todd.
Margaret Todd at her moorings in Bar Harbor.
The ladies of our group enjoying a nice sunset. 

Mornings were spent shooting sunrises. Evening, doing sunsets. I think my favorite shot from the trip was from one of the last days we were there, and we ventured to the shores of the Schoodic Peninsula. Naturally, it was closed as well. There was however a small fishing village with a rather picturesque lighthouse. We had to walk out on a field of rock to get the proper angle, but it was worth the effort. This is the Prospect Harbor Light near the village of Corea.  This place definitely offers some perspective about life in these parts.   One of our crew spotted a Bald Eagle and chased it down with his long lens.  Mine, naturally, was too far away.

Prospect Harbor Lighthouse




You can see all my photos from the trip, which included Blackwater Falls, Fallingwater, and Bennington, VT in my photo album.  Hope you enjoy and if you think you might like to go with us this year, drop me a line.  You're sure to have a great time.

No comments:

Post a Comment